Tax Help for Older People

Tax Help for Older People (Tax Help) is a charity which provides support to older taxpayers who:

  • need help or guidance to understand the tax position on their income or proposed pension
  • are uncertain of the correspondence they receive from HMRC
  • are anxious that they are paying the incorrect amount of tax.

The charity provides this support to older taxpayers (typically those over 60, but also those in their 50s considering pension options) when they cannot afford to pay for professional tax services. This is typically those whose annual income is less than £20,000 pa, but this criteria can be extended in special circumstances.

We have teamed up with Tax Help so that BCSSS pensioner members in these categories in need of tax guidance and support can contact them free of charge for help.

Scheme members can call Tax Help on 0333 2075659 Monday to Friday from 9.00 am to 5.00 pm to talk to a tax expert who will offer independent tax advice (not pension advice) across all sources of income.

Tax Help’s booklets offering generic tax guidance are also available here

Pension Flexibility & Taxation
A guide to taxation at bereavement

Disclaimer: Tax Help for Older People is a charitable organisation which provides tax advice and guidance to people on all sources of income. Tax Help for Older People has a free dedicated telephone advice service provided by trained staff available for Scheme members to provide support on tax queries. Face to face advice, when necessary, is provided by volunteer tax advisers who are members of the Chartered Institute of Taxation (CIOT), the Association of Tax Technicians (ATT) or otherwise professionally trained or qualified. The tax advisers are not independent financial advisers and Tax Help for Older People does not provide independent financial advice. If you would like to consult an independent financial adviser, you are free to use any provider and are responsible for the choice of provider. You can get free financial guidance from Government-backed organisations such as Pension Wise or the Money and Pensions Service. The Trustee is not recommending or endorsing the advice provided by the charity. The Trustee itself is not authorised to give any financial advice and it accepts no liability for any advice which this charity or any other third-party organisation provides.